Board logo

Do we want an artificial reef?
justanna - 21-5-2003 at 10:48

It might be a serious consideration as a way to improve the coastal defences at Borth but what does everyone REALLY want?

Dave - 21-5-2003 at 14:35

Is option two a series of sculptures of groins ?

justal - 23-5-2003 at 06:13

I've cast my vote...but I'm not telling you what it was!!

What I'd really like to see would be that coastal defences weren't needed and so everything could dtay the way it is now. However, leaving nature to take its course would probably result in our house (which isn't even built yet) flooding which I don't want.

I obviously don't want the rock breakwaters either as they would ruin the surf, look ugly and just be plain silly.

As far as the reefs go, and improvement in the surf would be good as long as there are no environmental impacts elsewhere along this coast, but the prospect of an influx of surfers just because Borth has an artificial reef doesn't really appeal to me.

Al.

Jumping Jack - 8-6-2003 at 06:51

Ooooh.... Its looking pretty close at the moment.

4-all, I wonder which will win here, and which will win out in real life??

JJ

[Edited on 8-6-2003 by Jumping Jack]

Stormrider - 29-6-2003 at 22:03

After what happened with the Newquay artificial reef.I doubt that it will ever happen in Borth.

badexcuseforasailor - 30-6-2003 at 08:54

I wouldn't of thought Newquay was high on the list for an artificial reef as there isn't really a problem that the sea is going to over run Newquay. Just my opinion but Newquay would want a reef just to beef up the waves not for flood defences as in Borth. Guess we all have to wait and see what happens

Stormrider - 30-6-2003 at 23:03

Well you are right,the plan in Newquay was to boost up the waves.