Board logo

hi im new to surfing...
Dazza Spud - 31-12-2008 at 00:52

hi, im new to surfing, ive only just got into it, and i was wondering about the danger level of surfing. Since im a lil nervous iw ould like to know the danger level out of 10. Many thanks!

shem - 31-12-2008 at 11:01

Where are you based?? generally stick to beaches that other surfers use, and stay well away from reefs and river mouths for now. If theres no body else in the water, ask your self why!

Dazza Spud - 1-1-2009 at 15:11

quote:
Originally posted by shem
Where are you based?? generally stick to beaches that other surfers use, and stay well away from reefs and river mouths for now. If theres no body else in the water, ask your self why!

Thanks!

bucski - 1-1-2009 at 19:00

Danger level at Teahupoo 10

Danger level at Borth 1!

( I shouldn't say that really - anywhere in the ocean can be dangerous - make sure you read up about rips etc... and always ask locals at a spot of any particular dangers. Surfing can be a very safe sport if you have the right knowledge )

justal - 2-1-2009 at 08:54

As the others say it all depends where you are and what mood the sea is in... However, in relation to other water-sports then surfing is probably one of the least dangerous if you are sensible about when and where you go.

As long as you know the dangers and stick within your abilities then it should be a fairly safe sport. There is always potential for something to go wrong though so play safe.

Al.

Cat - 28-5-2013 at 14:08

If your worried about saftey then maybe start with a Surf School. That's what I did and it felt a lot safer as there were qualified instructors and lifeguards near by! When I was starting out a couple of years back I was recommended 'Ticket to Ride' in Perranporth and they were fab Off o Portugal this summer now my confidence has grown. Here's their site if it helps: http://www.ttride.co.uk