Board logo

Surf around New Quay (wales)
mpcutts - 11-4-2003 at 09:52

Dare I say it..... I'm a kayaker who likes kayak surfing.

I was wondering if anyone could give me info about what the surf is like in and around New Quay (wales) as I'm moving down there in june and the state of the rivers at the moment are pretty dire, so if it don't rain surf might be all there is.

please help
cheers
Scary Mary

justal - 13-4-2003 at 07:52

Hi...

Theres quite a few places where the surf can be pretty good around Newquay (Wales). Newquay itself can be OK and there are plenty of spots North of Newquay that can be more consistent. The Trap in Aberystwyth is the most consistent break on this stretch of coastline, and there are a couple of places that can be almost world class as far as surfing goes (on their day)... I won't mention the names as people get quite sensitive about them.

Check the beachguide on this site for more info.

Al.

Stormrider - 30-6-2003 at 23:09

From what i can remember of Newquay(Wales)Doesn't it have a tiny little beach?.

justal - 1-7-2003 at 05:16

No, its not tiny. Theres a small harbour in the southern corner with a tiny little beach just to the south of it, and then theres a much bigger beach that sweeps around north of the harbour.... a very similar setup to St Ives in Cornwall really just on a smaller scale.

Al.

Stormrider - 1-7-2003 at 10:18

quote:
Originally posted by justal
No, its not tiny. Theres a small harbour in the southern corner with a tiny little beach just to the south of it, and then theres a much bigger beach that sweeps around north of the harbour.... a very similar setup to St Ives in Cornwall really just on a smaller scale.

Al.

Thats the one i remember,i did not realise their was a larger beach else where.Mind you i have not being there for years.