Board logo

what have you bought this year?
badexcuseforasailor - 28-7-2003 at 11:26

quote:

badexcuseforasailor [7:35 AM]: ive been good this year haven't bought any big items

hours after I said this

Just ordered a mk carbon boom £100 off cos its last years model

justal - 28-7-2003 at 12:49

Cool...How much was that then??

I think this year, my list is:

Sola Wetsuit.
Quiksilver wetsuit boots
Gun Boom
Gun Extension
Gun Deck plates
Stonker 157 Climax twin tip kite-surf board.

And I think thats it so far.

Al.

SeanBo - 28-7-2003 at 15:04

Hmmmm.....

Al, what happened to the footstrap purchase, or does that not count!

So far I have bought a second hand fin

AndyW - 28-7-2003 at 16:25

Well so far having tried not to buy anything due to lack of funds I've bought

Sola boots
Harness lines (due to breakage! Honest)
Dakine Nexus harness - I only poped in for the harness lines
Arrows Trixx 6.4 (ex demo) - I only poped in for the harness lines

I hope I don't break any more lines!

justal - 28-7-2003 at 18:20

Oh yeah... I bought some harness lines and a load of footstraps too!!

Al.

SeanBo - 28-7-2003 at 19:20

Hah, I thought as much Al, guilty as charged.

Now let me think.....was there some new kite lines in there as well....I think there was......come on Al own up, whats the 'real' shopping list

nicp - 30-7-2003 at 08:59

JP Freestyle Wave 84l (yum) and a set of DaKine Contour footstraps. Oh and a neil pryde summer suit. I think thats it but 'm already trying to decide whther to replace my bigger board and larger sails

justal - 30-7-2003 at 12:54

Hmmm... Maybe there was some kite lines as well.... You pay far too much attention to my expenditure Sean. How much is Anna paying you to keep tabs??

And a leash. I'm fairly desperate for a new 100 litre (ish) board at the moment as well.

Al.

nicp - 30-7-2003 at 14:03

Al, sure you're not into a Tiga Freecarve? review here

Want a new JP excite ride so would like to sell this quite sharpish.

Oh and btw. I noticed your sig sep in your email is broken, the bit where you have
--
Alan Cole

needs an extra space here
--<space>
Alan Cole

then email programs will know to make it look like a signature

[Edited on 30-7-2003 by nicp]

markh - 30-7-2003 at 15:47

No real biggies apart from the skis. Just as well or I wouldn't be able to go on hol.

75% Carbon Tushingham Mast
Spare downhaul line
New Fin for Bic Veloce 288
Salomon CrossMax 10 (skis that is)

nicp - 31-7-2003 at 10:07

ah I thought it was just windsurfing kit.

right, I raise you an Options Signature 161, Flow Bindings and a lovely pair of Nitro boots. mmm cant wait to get some more boarding in - Corcheval (sp?) in December and Whistler next Feb

badexcuseforasailor - 31-7-2003 at 10:14

I bought ski's last year a nice pair of salomon pilot 8
Have to wait til January to use them again though
Dont know where yet but some where with snow (hopefuly) will probaly be europe been to canda and us last 3 years . Gets a bit costy with windsurfing and skiing hols

ste - 31-7-2003 at 10:37

Im in the process of rationlising all my kit before my new son/duaghter is born (!).

Replacing some existing kit to concentrate on 4.5 - 6.5m weather with 2 boards and 4 or 5 sails

So ive bought already this year:
Disco 6.4
Superstar 5.7
Skate 100
New harness
3 sets of harness lines
2 new booms
2 new masts
1 new extension

Still to get:
Wave board of circa 75-80 litre
5.3 and 4.7 wave sails and 400cm mast

For sale:
Unused Wipika 8.9m kite and directional board (and videos etc)
Supersonic 7.4 and 460 mast
ART Rip 5.8
ART Rip 5.0

Ste

SeanBo - 31-7-2003 at 18:01

Hey Ste...great excuse and one that I can try as well....

Sadly the only new kit on the horizon will be for the wife who is getting desparate to get back on the water. We arer thinking of a 100L board which will be more of a challenge for me, but never say never!

ste - 1-8-2003 at 09:10

Yep - ive got 3 months to get all the kit i will ever need for the next few years before all the dosh goes out on Nappies and Nursery books!

Decided that free time wont be too plenty - so had 2 choices:
1) Get all the kit to cover all poss conditions
2) Concentrate on the area of windsurfing i most enjoy

Decided on the latter cos ive moved to the coast and cant afford all the toys (like 9m sails) - so will only go for it if its F4

PS
Gonna create a "Windsurfing FlashCards" from old mags so thay know the key terms before they can walk....

;-)

Ste

SeanBo - 1-8-2003 at 10:41

Like the windsurfing flashcards idea, we are trying to find a nice beach/sea style painting for the nursery...got to get the idea planted at some stage!

Does your wife/partner sail as well?

We have 3 weeks to go and I really should start the decorating, but the weather is either sunny or windy at the weekend and it makes it a hard call

ajdesq - 2-8-2003 at 07:06

Errr... gave the credit card a bit of a spanking in Leucate. So far:

New footstraps for the Axxis
New '02 F2 Mystery 85l wave board
Mint 2/hand '01 Starboard Carve 123
Gun 25% 400 wave mast
New 2002 Gun 4.5 Wave sail
New 2002 Gun 5.0 wave sail
Gun wave boom
O'Neill Evo Wetsuit w/ long sleeved rashie
err.... new straps & locks for above!

All these new toys, and I'm still crap!

Wishlist? Probably new straps for the Carve, then of course there's the 12.0m kite & TT Board, not forgetting the Renault Trafic to put it all in....

Steve - 3-8-2003 at 19:08

This year I've bought 3 Simmer onshore wave sails and today they were joined by a JP Freecarve 104. All of which will probably be joined by a couple of new masts come the autumn winds.

justal - 3-8-2003 at 20:18

Nice one Steve, have you ever tried a Freecarve 104 or did you just go for it?? I take it you traded in your Bee?...

The lack of wind and surf got to me today as well, so I ended up buying a Gaisford surf ski and two surf rescue paddle boards!!!

When I worked on the beaches I used to spend pretty much all day every day paddling around on paddle boards, and we've had quite a few hot sunny, still days this year when I thought it would be really nice to just paddle around and maybe catch some of the very small waves rolling into the beach.... Or maybe its just a mid-life crisis and I'm trying to recapture my youth.

The ski will be even better than paddling around on the boards though as I'll be able to go on 'adventures' along the coast on it!!! The ski is in OK condition, one of the boards is just plain weird and weighs a tonne, the other looks quite nice until you look at the bottom of it when its pretty evident that its had a major run in with the rocks and lost... Looks like I need to buy a job lot of resin to sort it out.

Al.

simonzz - 6-8-2003 at 17:50

Pretty parsimonious so far... one of those NSP epoxy egg/minimals (actually rather good)

A secondhand windsurf trolley (Boards website last week) so I don't have to drive the 200 yards to the beach.

Currently have my eye on one of those MK booms one size fits all (- most everything) affairs

justal - 6-8-2003 at 19:51

Parsimonious!!!... I think that must go down as word of the day!!!

I could do with some sort of trolley thing. I always drive the 200 yds to the beach as well, and probably would still do so if I had a trolley as all my kit lives in/on my van anyway. But at the moment I carry my surf-ski across which is quite a task..... I managed it today with only 3 rest stops!! A few more weeks practice and my shoulder and back muscel will be able to get it there without any stops (at high tide at least).

Al.

Spencer - 7-8-2003 at 17:56

Havn't bought much this year,Only a Tush pre peg Wave Mast & a fin,Oh & half a boom,a Windometer,Last year i got back into Wsurfing so started from scratch-

A cheap Mistral Stinger.
Mistral Flow 276
fibre spar Mast
Tushingham 5.7Storm
" 5.0 storm
NP Search 4.7
" 4.2
" 3.7
Da Kine Harness
Rip Curl winter suit/ boots
Gath Helmet (for the mad days)
Mast base extensions etc.
Quiver bag/Board bag

Think thats all of it? The best buy had to be the NP's,got them in Furteventura,all 3 for £300.
The only thing i want now is a 80L wave board.was thinking of getting a JP,but for the money those Bic tribals look alright.Anybody got any input/advice or one's to give a miss?
Spence...

badexcuseforasailor - 7-8-2003 at 18:23

If we are listing what we bought last year here goes:

Bic techno 263 evo 112 lts
Neilpryde winter steamer
6.3 gun flash
5.2 Gun mc wave
vauxhall zafira
skis
2 weeks in usa (skiing)
8 days in egypt
new job after being made redundant

bit of an expensive year

justal - 7-8-2003 at 21:57

Don't think I'll go into what I bought last year, but if your claiming your car as a 'Forces-of-Nature' expense then I'm gonna claim the house we're building!!

Al.

SeanBo - 8-8-2003 at 09:22

I'd probably claim my car as I was offered a company Mondeo saloon, but turned it down in favour of buying my own estate!

OK....so I admit that there was the cash incentive and tax reduction to consider as well

IainO - 10-8-2003 at 22:53

Bought a 2002 NP 4.7m Search wave sail with a Tush 400 RDM mast. The mast is the same price as the NP CK35 that I broke last year but it's 100% carbon and so much easier to throw around than a standard diameter mast. Will eventually transfer all wave masts to RDMs when I can afford it

nicp - 18-8-2003 at 14:49

just FYI, Neil Prydes aren't actually designed for use on RDMs currently. I guess you've been lucky and hit a combo that works but it's not really a recommended solution.

I rig my 5.3 zone on a 430 North Viper which is slightly rdm compared to a Pryde mast and it definitely doesn't work as well as my 4.7 or 4.2 which I rig on the correct pryde x7 mast.

IainO - 30-8-2003 at 10:49

I was under the impression that as long as you used the correct mast length with the correct IMCS that you where OK. I use a 430 RDM on my 6.2 NR and 5.3 Zone and haven't noticed any problems so far, maybe I was lucky

Angry_Apple - 30-8-2003 at 17:22

Well...I have bought myself lovely longboard made by Turtle Bay Oahu. cost an arm and a leg..

Wetsuit: £80
Leach: £30
Longboard: bloody priceless!

nicp - 22-9-2003 at 14:07

late reply here, sorry dont check the forums often enough. you are correct in that length of the mast and imcs rating will mean it will rig and be OK. But since the luff is designed with a specific mast diameter in mind and the diameter of both the luff and mast changes over the length it will make a difference if the mast isnt exactly the same as the one intended for use.

I just know it makes a difference with my North Disco's, and my Pryde Zone definitely doesn't rig as well on the north rdm mast as my smaller zones do on the standard pryde mast.

SinistaPenguin - 23-9-2003 at 14:08

Due to enforced poverty through birth of baby, I have bought nothing! My friend bought me a block of wax 'cos he felt sorry for me!

justal - 23-9-2003 at 18:36

That won't work with us Sinista!!! Babies don't just come from nowhere...it was your own fault!

Al.