Board logo

Who's coming to the demo day
justal - 28-9-2004 at 06:31

I thought I'd get this thread started before Hans@BW did!!!

So, who's coming to the Boardwise Demo Weekend at Borth on Oct 9th & 10th??

I'll be there. Wonder if there will be any surprise celebrities again!!

Al.

IainO - 28-9-2004 at 07:49

Unfortunately I'll be in Tiree

AndyW - 28-9-2004 at 11:24

Jules and I will be there, probably on the Sunday. Jules wants to see if young Al wants to get a decent size kite ;-)

They usually bring some one from one of the teams. I believe Nik Baker, John Skye and Bjorn have all been present in the past.

kelvin - 28-9-2004 at 15:50

hmmmmm another weekend on the piss, but what about ze wind ? will it blow or will we b having a sut down in sand demo .

justal - 28-9-2004 at 16:18

Too early to tell yet, but its looking pretty good for this coming Sunday at the moment.... Although it's too early to tell for then yet as well!!

Al.

Nick - 28-9-2004 at 20:04

I'll be coming on Friday or Saturday if the forecast looks good .... possibly both if I'm really good. Can't make Sunday though .... family do to attend.

Either way, it's been so long since I've sailed I'll need someone to show me the basics again .... rigging, balance, uphauling etc etc!

Never been to a demo before ...what's the score? Do you need to pay a damage deposit on any kit you try out?

Cheers

Nick

justal - 28-9-2004 at 20:36

Nope, just turn up with your wetsuit and harness and then all the kit will be ready rigged for you to try out... when you've finished with it / broken it, just take it back and someone else will pack it up for you!!!!... Lovely!

Al.

Hans@BW - 29-9-2004 at 06:05

Nice One Al!!!

You must have read my mind.

All the importers will be there, except BIC I'm not sure what is happening there since the take over by Ultrasport.

Bar-B-Que on the Saturday night.

Dave White with his Vodka Stunts.... those of you who have been before and now have a permanent squint will know what I am talking about...

Some of Dave's TWB guys should be there as well, so some s#!t hot windsurfing as well.

As Al said just bring your wetsuit, booze and a tent.

Not sure I condone Al's comment on 'finished with it / broken it', but the emphasis on the weekend is definately to have a go on the NEW TOYS!!!

Hope to see yo'all thar.

Hans.

justal - 29-9-2004 at 06:41

After saying that I'll have to be EXTRA careful with any of the kit I try out!

Al.

Dave - 29-9-2004 at 19:26

Really looking forward to it.

I want to try out some boards, hopefully we will get wind.

See you all there, and we will join you for the BBQ.

Al - the way you have been going through kit lately - I'm surprised you can spell careful.

nick the fish - 3-10-2004 at 18:48

Hans will there be an evo 92 to try? if so I will be there n

justal - 4-10-2004 at 05:44

Long range forecast looks good for the estuary at the moment (NE-E 30 knots....will translate into 40 knots in the estuary)... It will all change though But if it stays like that you won't want to be on a 92 litre board...70 litres and 3.5m will be the order of the day!!! .

Al.

Nick - 4-10-2004 at 09:02

Guess with a howling offshore-ish wind plenty will want to head for safety of the estuary ....but will there be any water in it?

Typically, the tide times don't look great to me:-

Thu HT 3.01pm .. but no wind forecast!
Fri HT 4.57pm
Sat HT 5.51am+6.12pm
Sun HT 6.45am+7:00pm

Al - how long either side of HT do you think it will be possible to sail in the estuary?

Ps got the tide times from here (from here http://www.waleslive.com/party/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7 />

AndyW - 4-10-2004 at 11:18

I remember last time I saw it NE F5-6 on the sea front but the estuary went to F8.

Al was getting big air in the estuary on a 3.5m. We waited until the tide dropped and went out on the sea front. The water was glassy smooth and flat with F5-6 cross off. Al, Dave, Sarah and I had a nice blast around.

So don't be put off by the offshore bit. If the estuary does go nuclear then the sea front may be the safer place. Also as its a demo then that's where the kit will be and you'll have plenty of company ;-)

If the wind isn't strong enough on the sea front then the estuary will do the business, so good news either way.

The tides are quite small that weekend so there should be some water in there all day but later afternoon looks like the best time.

See ya there - was coming on Sunday but maybe Saturday now that I've seen the forecast, wish I could make both days :-)

Andy

[Edited on 4-10-2004 by AndyW]

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by AndyW]

badexcuseforasailor - 4-10-2004 at 11:36

I was thinking about coming but im going to Coverack the following week. 400 mile round trip to Borth then another 600 round trip to Cornwalls gonna be a bit much.
Not sure how but managed to do 17,000 miles in car this past year..........and its only a 14 mile round trip to work

Nick - 4-10-2004 at 13:02

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Also as its a demo then that's where the kit will be and you'll have plenty of company ;-)
[Edited on 4-10-2004 by AndyW]

..... trouble is, I'm probably going on the Friday now so no demo folk about...... anyone else likely to be about on Friday?

Cheers

Nick

ps go on BEFS, you know you want to .... sooner or later there might be little befs around and you'll wish you had!

justal - 4-10-2004 at 18:07

I probably will be about!

As somone pointed out tides are small at the weekend so there should be enough water in the estuary most of the day. It may mean sailing in the narrow channels, but there will be one aligned perfectly for a NE. If it REALLY blows then an offshore speed session on the seafront would be fun. Hopefully Jonny will let me play with his recently acquired Sputnik if we get SPEED conditions.

Al.

Hans@BW - 5-10-2004 at 06:58

NOW EVERYONE FOCUS......

Average wind forecast at present....

Safe tides....

So you're thinking, is it worth the trip...

IT'S HAVE A GO WEEKEND ON SHINEY NEW 2005 KIT...!!!!

OF COURSE IT'S WORTH THE TRIP...!!!
OF COURSE IT'S WORTH THE TRIP...!!!

See ya thar!
(Otherwise keep reading the mags cause thats as close as you're going to get to the new toys this year ;-) ).

Hans.

AndyW - 5-10-2004 at 08:52

Hey Nick,

I might go for a day off on Friday and come out for a F5 NE session in the estuary. What time are you planning on getting there?

I've got the kids for Saturday but I'll be back out on Sunday for the demo.

Andy

Nick - 5-10-2004 at 09:23

I was planning to get there at 10ish on Friday because I need to be back by 7pm.

Typically the forecast seems to be changing all the time. Friday looked like it was going to be a banker but it now looks like the wind's going to show up later in the afternoon. Hopefully the estuary effect will kick in early.

Tomorrow looks great ....HT around 2pm. decisions, decisions

cheers

nick

AndyW - 5-10-2004 at 10:05

Agreed tommorrow looks good but SW is not usually that good in the estuary and the sea front will have decent waves/swell so it a choice.

Friday is still a bit too far off to rely on the forecast but if its NE then the estuary should work. Guess we''ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Nick - 5-10-2004 at 14:53

friday it is then ...unless the forecast is desperate.

Cheers

Nick

shem - 5-10-2004 at 15:25

Hope theres going to be some room left in the estuary for us Kiters. Any Other Kiters coming down for the weekend??

justal - 5-10-2004 at 18:33

Hans.... I wouldn't call it an 'average wind forecast'.... It's lokking pretty good at the moment... 30 knots NE all day Sat, and 25 knots E all day Sunday.... If that actually materilises, then it will be ABSOLUTELY HOWLING in the estuary... Still a long way off though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

There was plenty of wind around today.

Nick and Andy.... I'll hopefully get out for a session in the estuary on Fri afternoon. It doesn't look that windy for Friday yet, but it might arrive early, so I'll wait until a couple of hours before HT and then I'll see you there.

Al.

Hans@BW - 5-10-2004 at 23:57

Al, I was really reffering to the direction - not the best, hence overall 'average'...

justal - 6-10-2004 at 06:04

ah.... but it is THE BEST for the estuary.... Maybe the demo should be set up there. Although, it'll still be fine out by the Dovey bar, unless someone breaks something as its then a LONG swim back.

Al.

Wes - 6-10-2004 at 07:05

Sreaming easterlies - always crap on the south coast. I'm thinking on a visit at long last......

MartinF - 6-10-2004 at 20:12

Hey Al,

Give my regards to Sav - he's going along with the BW crew as the "local" JP rep. He's the one with the dreadlocks.

We're (Bristol Nomads) supposed to be in Saunton this weekend - not entirely ideal in NE. May need a rethink!

Wes - 7-10-2004 at 07:09

Could you post weather forecast please Al, Not sure what windguru station to pick. Convince me its worth the trip.....

justal - 7-10-2004 at 08:22

Haven't I already done that on the home page???

Sat NE Force 5 (therefore probably 6-7 in the estuary)
Sun E Force 5-6 (therefore 6-7 in estuary again).

HT is around 6.30 which is the best time in the estuary, but the tides are small so there should be enough room in the channels most of the day. There might also be a decent swell, but the strong offshore winds may just hold that back a day or two.

I've just done my back in moving furniture, and just breathing is difficult at the moment, but if it eases up I'd like to do an early morning (first light) and evening session in the estuary and then if theres plenty of wind and a decent swell, a mission to the Dovey Bar for some cross-offshore down the line wave riding once the tide starts to push could be interesting... The wind should be funneling out through the estuary and hitting the waves on the bar quite nicely, especially once it goes more Easterly.

Al.

Nick - 7-10-2004 at 08:50

Andy/Al,

Forecast for Friday still looks pants so I'm not going to bother - will save the precious holiday for another day.

I will be coming on Saturday though and plan to make a full day of it ..... should be down mid morning.

Hans@BW - believe you have some Arrows carbon booms on offer @£200 at the moment - could you bring one down so I can take a look?

Cheers

Nick

Wes - 7-10-2004 at 11:17

Errrmmm, yes you did but I didn't look at it - sorry

Looks pretty good, but I'm not sure about down the line wave riding......

justal - 7-10-2004 at 11:27

Nor am I, but its got to be worth a try....especially on demo kit!

Al.

AndyW - 7-10-2004 at 11:41

Nick,
I can't make Saturday so see you another time Nick.

I might still try a Friday afternoon session in the estuary, hopefully the estuary effect will create some decent wind.

Andy

AndyW - 7-10-2004 at 11:43

A Sunday mission out to the bar sounds interesting, especially on nice new ready rigged kit ;-)

The estuary may be a little too mad by then anyway.

Andy

Nick - 7-10-2004 at 11:50

Now that I'm going on Saturday I have no doubt that Friday afternoon will see perfect f5 conditions.....Saturday on the other hand will be a howling disaster with lethal low flying objects everywhere.

Now there's positive for you!

Cheers

Nick

AndyW - 7-10-2004 at 11:57

Yeah Nick, but it will be fun...

I think Sunday may be the same...

If Saturday is too mad in the estuary then have a look at the sea front and sail the demo kit.

Cheers.

Jonny - 7-10-2004 at 13:09

I was meant to be returning home today but Im staying for the weekend. No wind today but the Forecast looks great for the weekend so I'l be there tomorrow as well as the sat and sun. My arms are aching today though, Ive been windsurfing for at least 3 hours a day for the past 6 days in a row. Tiny blisters have formed on my hands which will be down to me holding onto the boom for dear life.
Your welcome to have a go on the Sputnik Al but I got no fin for it and we'l have to sort the mast track out on it. See you in the estuary tomorrow.

Jonny

justal - 7-10-2004 at 18:15

Yep, if my back is any better I'll be there.... DIY is bad for you!!

Al.

Wes - 8-10-2004 at 07:06

Well, I'm on my wayin about 5 hrs. I should get there by about sunday if my normal sense of direction is to be relied on!
See y'all there

Ian - 8-10-2004 at 16:29

Al,

Will the gate be open tomorrow or am I going to have to find someone to open it up? Should be with you around 1030 - 1100

justal - 8-10-2004 at 16:49

I'm sure the BW people will have opened by then... Probably by getting the key from me!!.

Al.

rob - 8-10-2004 at 19:50

al make sure your back is fixed to give the titanic her first proper voyage on the open seas... she deserves more than i can offer her i'm afraid!

justal - 8-10-2004 at 20:03

I heard a few of the Aber girls say just the same thing the other day!!!

I'm sure I'll do my best to rise to the challenge.

Al.