This weekend?
Daniel - 31-3-2004 at 12:24

Anybody out sailing this weekend?

justal - 31-3-2004 at 18:15

Yep...... If theres wind!!

Where will you be??

Al.

Shaka - 2-4-2004 at 12:35

yep def out if the wind appears. I hope so as im desperate to get out on the water.

Forecast for South coast is a bit vague so I dont think they know what will happen. Met office have 15-20mph, bbc 10mph, isobars look good but....... aghhhh please be windy!

I've got loads to do but everyone and everything are on hold.

It might be the first w/e this year i take my larger Mistral down as it loves the lighter stuff - good for doing those lightwind (F3/4) tricks on.

Have a good one where ever you all end up.

Daniel - 2-4-2004 at 12:51

I'm so eager to get out, I haven't been sailing in years literally. Infact the last time was in Western Australia 2-3 years ago! But thats all about to change, I've invested in some gear and the sea is calling me...

badexcuseforasailor - 2-4-2004 at 14:54

Ive seen some really messed up forcast weather online is showing force 3 for Southampton and force 4 -5 gusting 50mph at Portsmouth

Harry - 2-4-2004 at 15:21

Weatheronline always do that. Portsmouth is closer to the coast than Southampton I suppose. Gusting 68 mph on Saturday though? Yes that's right, of course it is. Gale force 11 then. Yup. I'll be buying a new 2.5m for this weekend then , won't I. No really I will.

Shaka - 2-4-2004 at 15:22

i can only imagine that means they dont know - check all forecast tonight and tom morning including the rela time data stuff. Im aiming to be on th water for about 1pm as this looks the best. theyr.net it up and down all day.

BXFS - are you going to Brog? - could be nice in this sunshine, just pratice all the light wind moves on the small sails.

badexcuseforasailor - 2-4-2004 at 15:50

Yep I'll be going to brog, went to borth last weekend going to southcoast for easter, I miss my old diesel cavalier when it comes to fuel costs!

badexcuseforasailor - 3-4-2004 at 17:45

There wasn't a lot of light wind free style today, totaly maxed out on 7m most of day.

Shaka - 5-4-2004 at 07:27

Worthing on Saturday wasn't brilliant, about f4. Sunday was much better - ended up in Hayling, the wind and sun were out in forces - beautiful with some nice waves for a while on the sandbar.

BXFS - Good to hear you were maxed - where are you going on the south cost? - im down in Poole more than likely for Sat&sun - if windy will be there all w/e - might see you there if your going.

Hope everyone else had a good time - just going to read the diaries now

badexcuseforasailor - 5-4-2004 at 11:37

Planning to sail some of the time at Lepe but staying in the new forest so only short drive from Poole.
Where do you normaly sail at Poole sandbanks of one of the less well known (free parking places)
Where everyone else planning on going for Easter?

Shaka - 6-4-2004 at 07:20

If in Poole I usually end up sailing at sandbanks or Branksome. I find the harbour is good in offshore conditons. Not sure on those free parking spaces - very rare in Poole I can imagine.

W/E weather is looking pretty poor - looks like I may do the walk from poole to Old Harry and have a pint at the pub overlooking studland bay (def recommneded). Also a bit of a result as I got engaged up there last year so gets me few brownie points. Hope you have a good one

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Shaka]

Chaos - 6-4-2004 at 09:56

Hoping to get down to Lepe myself on the Sunday and/or Monday so look out for a green VW transporter if you're there.

Wes - 6-4-2004 at 11:04

I am planning a south coast vist if it windy from Thursday to Monday. Only problem is that it looks like NE's - its going to be gusty and nasty. Anyone got any ideas on where to go to make the most of it?

Wes

Shaka - 6-4-2004 at 11:10

Wes - depends where on South coast but NE check out Pagham (best at high water) or sandbanks which has nice cross shore conditions. Otherwise Poole harbour can offer some good condions further in, not at whitley lake.

Another option but costly is the Shell Bay - all national trust and they charge you for the pleasure. Great beach, full of naturists. Not sailed there yet but should works nicely in NE.

badexcuseforasailor - 6-4-2004 at 21:28

Its a bit cold for all that ! Im sticking to my 5mm of rubber

Spencer - 6-4-2004 at 22:26

not a lot of wind this weekend!!!!

Daniel - 7-4-2004 at 08:46

Not alot of wind? I've tried looking at windguru but it aint working. What is the forcast?

Spencer - 7-4-2004 at 09:33

northalies 10knts south coast

Wes - 7-4-2004 at 11:06

Yep, and its dropping all the time

badexcuseforasailor - 7-4-2004 at 11:20

Looks like it maybe mountain biking in the Newforest for me

AndyW - 7-4-2004 at 11:26

Oh well, looks like DIY for me, I'm boarding the loft then there's a new shed to go up.

Still I'm off work all next week except Friday so if any wind appears I'll be straight out to Borth :-)

raven22 - 7-4-2004 at 18:20

Hiya everyone,

Just thought I'd put my penny's worth into the weekend debate. PaulF and I are looking for somewhere to sail this weekend. I think our choices are around the Colwyn Bay area on Fri/Sat as we might be meeting someone there or possibly down south after Sat. We are considering Poole as our first choice down there but want to know how many other people will be around as we are sick of being billy no mates (non of our other windsurfing mates tend to sleep out and I like making good use of my camper. Also, I can't afford any other form of accommodation but am sick of being stuck in Bolton all the time).

Anyway, my reliable source (PaulF) informs me that as the prevailing winds for most of the weekend seems to be North Westerlies pagham, branksome, sandbanks and lepe will all be offshore conditions.

Poole harbour will have high tides throughout the weekend but the sandbanks area will be PACKED. You might want to consider going to hanworthy on the Northern edge of Poole harbour. (free carpark, grassy rigging area, short sandy beach).

Let me know what people are doing so we can make a decision on what we are doing before he makes the drive up north tomorrow night and find everyone has emigrated south.

justal - 7-4-2004 at 21:36

Wind isn't looking too exciting for the weekend, so I think I'll avoid the tourists and do some work to earn some money instead... If theres enough wind I'll go kiting in the evenings.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 8-4-2004 at 09:43

Its not looking good just looked at windguru and there not a single star showing for the weekend on the poole forcast
Im planning to go to omwc long weekend at Lepe or if there is a little more could be any where insearch of wind. I think Calshot is a litte better if theres N in the wind, thats if there is any! Looking very much like mountain biking in the Newforest

adam - 8-4-2004 at 10:01

Looks like I bought my 8m kite just in time, should be able to get out buggying in less than 5mph with it I hope... if not there's always the bike or downhill mtn boarding

justal - 9-4-2004 at 06:02

The wind looks worse each time I look..... Off to work for me then!

I'll probably get out for a play with a kite later on today though. Is anyone going to be around Borth for the holiday weekend??

Al.

Daniel - 13-4-2004 at 09:05

So a pretty lame easter weekend for all how is it looking for next weekend?

badexcuseforasailor - 13-4-2004 at 13:38

I done a lot of mountain biking thats all I'm saying

Daniel - 13-4-2004 at 14:12

WINDGURU - SUNDAY - Barry(The Knap) - 15-20mph SSW
(If it doesn't come good, don't blame me, blame Kelvin)

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Daniel]

justal - 13-4-2004 at 15:30

Looking even better at Newgale and Borth according to windGuru.... Its giving figures up to 26 knots SW....

Lets watch those numbers fall as the weekend approaches!

Al.

Wes - 13-4-2004 at 15:37

Lets hope its windy - I am not sure that my wallet can take another beating like that in the pub!

Still, got my forst decent bikeride in after two years of nagging knee injuries - just gutted that my housemate managed to keep up wioth me for 20 miles - and he was running!

justal - 14-4-2004 at 05:57

Its still looking Ok for the weekend at the moment, although it does look at the moment as though the best of the wind will come in over Saturday night.

Where's everyone gonna be??

Al.

Dave - 14-4-2004 at 12:24

I'm going to the Rugby Union Cup Final on Saturday; so I'll bet it will be windy.

Come on Sale

ste - 15-4-2004 at 17:19

if its windy and im free and its SW then either Tenby or Newgale or BHaven....

Will be watching the forecast with interest..

PS
Any swell likely?

Ste

AndyW - 16-4-2004 at 11:21

I was considering another session on Sunday but at the moment it looks like the front may go over at night so might be gone by daytime, oh well...

Can't make Saturday but if it changes and Sunday looks ok I might make it out to Borth :-)

Andy

ajdesq - 16-4-2004 at 21:34

On a family holiday at Butlins Bognor. Hi-de-hi! Have toybox and will be going out to play on Saturday regardless (ie escaping). If anyone's around at Bracklesham or Pagham let me know - 07793 050236.

Andrew

Daniel - 19-4-2004 at 08:28

Kelvin and I managed to get out at Trecco Bay on Sunday. We got there at 12.30ish and by 1pm the wind was gusting up to 15mph. We managed to get in about an hour or so of sailing time. For me it was nice to get out there and get wet as it has been over 4 years since I last went sailing in Western Australia. As expected I was really rusty and my blasting style was more a 'hang on for life' than smooth operator!! However, I was really chuffed that I can still waterstart pretty easily. Even so, I still ended up in Newton taken by the incoming tide which was a bit of a red face moment but it wasn't so bad when Kelvin and another sailor also called Daniel also rounded the point of no return! All in all it was just great to get out and start shaking the layers of rust off.

Nice One
Daniel

ste - 19-4-2004 at 11:33

Was going to go to NGale but went to Tenby South beach instead on Saturday 12pm...

Decided to go without boots and hood for the first time this year - aghh the start of the summer is here!

Wind was SW crosshore and about F4+

Anyway - rigged 6.4 and skate and had a great hr or two but got too overpwered (and snapped a harness line for the first time ever!) so rigged the 5.7m.

Winds got up further still and the rain came in by 4pm and i was knacked so left at 5pm

Decided to spend the day trying to learn new stuff ie
bodydrags and duckgybes.....didnt get that far really but it all helps...trying new stuff also breaks that "mind-set of going B&F for 500yds and not fallling in ie you know you are going to get wet! Had a great time....but very tiring waterstarting every 100 yds for 4 hours!

Wind turned NW on sunday and didnt seem much. Was going to go to Pendine but family stuff got the better of me.

Really looking fwd to Ireland 7th May....just hope we get some wind

Ste