Board logo

bug
badexcuseforasailor - 15-6-2003 at 10:27

I know your probaly working on it Al but on the front page where it shows the newest entries on the forums and diarys

its got:
‚Ä?‚Äù‚Äô]o?ö0‚Ķ?ø?䬴\?¥j8!¬?U¬•‚Ä?' tPMSG¬£??9?±‚Ä??Ñ#¬±#‚Ǩ????‚Ä?¬Å¬ÆM?ö*E‚Äò?¨=?ß?ì$¬´0?ø:}yI?íge¬¨¬??ã8 ?âj¬çe??L 4‚Ä?R¬? ¬©m@6]Ydi¬?¬±¬™ ?®?ÉI‚Äò‚ÄûS ¬Æ?£?å"‚Ä°alkxr‚Äô@E#?à¬??Öf'$ ??_¬Æ¬èiP[?õM?Çp¬ø?ü‚ÄúR?©?ç@‚Ä¢?⬨?ìH E?ú6?§9?ób‚Ä°??q8¬?IWw??Ya‚Ķ‚Äô?©N?†¬•?ï??‚Äì‚Ä??Ü?ú¬?¬?¬ª?¬™O?á?£?õ¬?¬?3¬®?ìB??pE  ?â¬ç?쬕¬ê¬Å¬?d?â‚Ñ¢?Æ?ç‚ÄúpE}¬ê$?¨¬ª¬°?â?ø?î¬?¬ª6,X?í‚Äô3???±:???.:¬?¬?¬Æ$¬??ØcEg ZU¬??í?äU5?åf?ü‚Ä?‚Äî!?Ñ?ÉG?©?™}@?߬°Àú¬Æ?ê¬æ?µ?®?\???¥?±?†YÀÜ?Æ&¬£O?æ?Æ‚Äî3‚Äì 5'?ĬøF?????õ?æ?°?±?£&‚Ä¢¬?*mÀú¬±]vl¬æ?¨WÀܬ£‚Ǩ.X¬?C}P‚Ä?xo¬¶¬¢76¬¢?à_?ø?Ñ ?è}?Ü?¶:?§?º¬è¬ø ;¬?^?†"d‚Ć?ÜHf?¥Y‚Ä?'I8¬£p?ì)'????0?†?æM<_|?ãk?°)?Ø(]‚Ä?¬£U?Ǭê‚Ñ¢x???°?ù8 ?è?ö‚Äú?üo?ø?ø?ì?å6:ÀÜ

justal - 15-6-2003 at 13:06

Hmmmm...

It all looks fine to me until I try it in Netscape.... Cheers. I'll look into it. Not that the stuff its displaying means anything to me!!!

Does anyone else experience this in anything other than Netscape??

Al.

Dave - 15-6-2003 at 16:58

Yes, and I'm on IE 6.

Looks just as Befs described.

justal - 16-6-2003 at 05:50

Grrrrrr......

I don't know whats causing that!!!

justal - 16-6-2003 at 06:37

Well, I'm still none the wiser, but I think I've got rid of the garbeld text and its now displaying some code that I at least understand.

For some reason its displaying the code rather than processing it though.

I have to go to work now, so I'll have to work on it tonight.... I'm sure you can all cope until then.

Al.

Dave - 16-6-2003 at 15:12

Sorry Al it ain't working
What I get is :

"Forecast:
(Tues) Westerly Force 1-2, increasing Force 3-4. Sunny spells. (Weds) SW Force 4-5. Sunny spells and Showers. (Thurs) SW Force 4-5. Showers.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
"

justal - 16-6-2003 at 16:11

Well...at least thats an improvement on all the crap BEFS got... Its in English at least!!!

Grrrrr.....

I've tried everything and don't get why it won't work....

I might have a plan though... But it will take me a while.

Al.

justal - 16-6-2003 at 18:48

Hows that look???

I've completely rebuilt it from the ground up and I 'THINK' its working OK now???

I hope so.

You may have noticed that that the header is now the same is as within the interactive (database driven) parts of the site. For those in the know, I've rebuilt the home page in php rather than html. At the moment it looks no different from before, but when I get around to it, I'll now be able to personalise the home page for you. This will mean that non-members will get the home-page as it is now, but logged-on members don't need to know what the site is all about so will get a summary of their latest activity within the site (Latest diary entries, current Stoke factor, latest forum posts etc.)

Let me know if all the gobbledygook has gone anyway.

Al.

MartinF - 16-6-2003 at 21:05

I don't recall it being gobbledygooky at all. I think you're all making it up.

I'm on IE6 SP1

As an afterthought, Al: Are you doing anything with http headers in your php scripts? There may be something that's browser-configuration dependent if you are. Though I can't think what it might be.

Martin

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by MartinF]

SeanBo - 16-6-2003 at 21:36

looks cool to me!

badexcuseforasailor - 16-6-2003 at 21:39

looks ok to me now

justal - 17-6-2003 at 05:53

Phew!!!!

For those in the know (Martin sounded interested)... For some reason since the site has been on new servers with new webhosts, calling a php script via a simple SSI incldue Virtual command from within a shtml file didn't seem to work.

If the included file had a .php suffix then a load of garbled ASCII text was displayed. If it had a .inc sufix then the php code was diaplayed instead. It may have had something to do with the http headers though as you said. Basically the http headers were stated at the top of my shtml file and then some may have been stated again at the top of the php file which confused some browsers... Most browsers on my Mac seemed to work it out though and it used to work on the old servers which is a little strange.

Not to worry. Its all inside php files now with php include commands which seem (fingers crossed) to work OK... Who knows, by the time you get back from you hols I may have revamped the home page so that members each have their own individual one!!!... If its not windy over the next few days of course.

Thanks everyone for helping out...It was a little difficult to fix as the problems weren't always apparent on my Mac.

Al.

MartinF - 17-6-2003 at 17:02

Glad that all seems ok now.

Just a note of caution on security - name any include files which may contain db user names & passwords as .php rather than as .inc.

If a user (read - potential hacker) requests a .inc file in a browser, Apache doesn't parse it so the browser simply displays its text contents - passwords & all. If your include files have .php extensions, Apache will parse it as a php file before sending it to the user. As there will be no php directives in there to write to the browser, the browser will display an empty page.

Cheers,
Martin

justal - 17-6-2003 at 17:49

Yep...don't worry, all include files are .php files and passowrds are hidden deep within several includes!!

I've just noticed that the chat room has stopped working since moving to this new server too... I've taken it away for now until I have time to work on a new chat room. (I'm working on personalised home pages at the moment)

Unfortunately I didn't build the chat room in the first place so don't have a clue how to repair it... it was pretty buggy anyway, so its no great loss for now, and we can still use the forums to communicate with each other.

Al.