Board logo

In-Land Sailing
flippinwet - 21-8-2006 at 13:30

Ok, I'm getting lazy and need some advice in getting lazier...I live in central London and usually sail at Shoreham...was wondering if there are any lakes in-land that are closer that allow Kite Surfing...Anyone heard about King George and William Girling Resevoir in Chingford?

Pluto - 21-8-2006 at 20:09

Mmmm. Not sure about those locations specifically, but inland sailing is possible. Worldwide there are loads of spots, but generally the conditions are really gusty making it a bit ropey!

It's stating the obvious but be careful of the wind direction....

flippinwet - 22-8-2006 at 09:52

Thanks for the advice...i will probably stick to the coast, just getting annoyed at the long journey down there - but its worth it when i get up and riding!!

Take it easy

dunk - 22-8-2006 at 13:05

I work on a water authority reservoir and as far as I know its banned on all there waters.To be honest I used to kite on Draycote before the ban ( which was nothing to do with me, it was a decision made down South) and it was pretty crap, very gusty and no space to launch or land. There’s a private lake near Worcester where you can kite.
Stick to the coast dude its where its at

darren byrne - 22-8-2006 at 16:20

I'm with dunk, stick to the coast. I've broken bones kiting inland!!!!

CharlieR - 24-8-2006 at 12:19

Don't moan! I used to live in Birmingham and the coast was a good 2.5 hours away. have move to London now and i can get to Whitstable in an hour and the south coast in an hour and a half! Plus there are motorways!

There is always the tow line at thorpe park wakeboard centre if you don't fancy the trip to the coast.