Board logo

Whats the best kit ?Want to Learn Kite surfing
Vortex - 14-8-2006 at 09:36

After being in the UK for 5 years I have decided to get back into wind/ watersport and given I live in london and don't have heaps of space for windsurfing gear I think that kite surfing is the best option.

What i need advice on is which kit should I start with. I am an advanced windsurfer and wakeboarder and generally progress very fast. So am i better off buying true learner gear then, upgrading later or just get more advanced gear to start with.

I weight 80kgs so what kite and board sizes would you recommend and what brands?

Thanks

[Edited on 14-8-2006 by Vortex]

shem - 14-8-2006 at 11:41

If your going for the newer style BOW or SLE type kites, a 11 meter will do you for most wind speeds. If yoyr a wake boarder therell be no need to go for a learner board, so loook around the 130-135 size range. If you fancy a lesson in Wales, your welcome to try out a range of kit, while you learn, so that you can see the different styles of kites and boards available.

Good luck

Shem.

cabte - 14-8-2006 at 20:03

Hi
I think one of the best kites to start to learn on is either the Naish Boxer 10/12m
or the Airush Flow 10/12m i learnt on the Airush and it was very easy to control and water relaunch is easy to,
no the best kites for going upwind but they do go .
i always stayed in winds that were onshore and cross shore so i didnt get to go up wind that much.
and when you get better there still ok for stonger winds.

Hope this helps
carl

shem - 14-8-2006 at 20:34

A few years ago Id have agreed with you, but now with total de power, C kites are virtually obsolite for learning. I was watching some body get dragged 50 yards on theyre back last week, and then suffering from a badly brused shoulder!!!!! Why let that happen when now adays theres no need?!

danh - 15-8-2006 at 08:07

Dont you think sometimes though shem its good for a newbie to use a c just so that they can feel the difference, alot of newcomers go out and buy 2nd hand c's and i think it may come as a bit of a shock if theyve spent there coarse riding bows and no one has notified them of the difference. for first timers on a kite its gotta be a bow all the way but i think once your competent a c kite should be thrown in the mix just so you can learn to control the power. Im only saying that because i had my first go on a c kite for months on sunday and it took me a while to get dialled into riding it again. Plus the wind was cac.

kitecaddy - 15-8-2006 at 17:13

i agree with shem , learn on a bow or sle , they are so much safer and you will progress quicker , i tried to learn on c kites but lost my confidence when the bow came out i had a lesson with shem and iv not looked back since !", i can personally recomend him for lessons too , top guy
suz

shem - 15-8-2006 at 17:29

OO Im blushing. I always teach people on a range of C's and bows and sles, so that they can make up theyre own mind. Id say also that 99% then go on to buy a bow or sle.

cabte - 15-8-2006 at 19:02

Hmm got some different veiws going here
As i only use a c kite iv never had a go with a bow is there much differnce to a bow than a c kite ,,
do they control the same and relaunch as good as some c kites,,,
and as you say are they safer ?

Nice to hear what you can tell me !
could be worth going for a new bow

danh - 15-8-2006 at 20:13

defo a difference, soak up gusts like there not there and they are definately a huge confidence booster especially when trying new stuff, and relaunch is a piece of cake. And ive got 2 mates who were learning, had c kites and then tryed a bow and sold the c kites. 1 bought shems old sonic. Not really a different view, i totally agree with how good the bows are and im addicted to my instinct purely because its allowed me to progress so much. I just think its good for people learning to be able to feel the difference because obviously you have to handle the power completly differently. And yep definately recommend shem for a lesson hes got a whole range of gear to play with man i even sore him lend a student his wetsuit while he stood in the water in his trouser, what a nice guy. lol. gone red yet shem have fun guys

dan

[Edited on 15-8-2006 by danh]

[Edited on 15-8-2006 by danh]

Vortex - 16-8-2006 at 13:40

Thanks for all the advice.

What is the general consenus on Cabrinhna Crossbow kites. Would this make a good starter kite? I have to option to get a 2006 one in good condition for £450?

shem - 16-8-2006 at 18:26

very heavy bar pressure, remember the xbow 2 is out any day, so the value of the first will drop hugely.

col123 - 16-8-2006 at 19:02

X-Bow out anyday thev'e been out for two weeks

shem - 16-8-2006 at 19:30

Sorry Col!!!!! Hope fully have a 2009 demo in this week!!! Cant wait. Its a 3 meter kite with a wind range of 3-70 knots!!! Amazing!!!