Board logo

Peter Lynn Phantom
justal - 11-6-2004 at 21:10

Has anyone else flown a Peter Lynn Phantom???

The Powerkite Shop guys were down on the beach yesterday and one of them had a 9m Phantom that I had a go on.... What a spooky kite, how can it be so stable?? It has a nice smooth pull and then you can just let the bar out and it feels as though there is nothing there.... Weird. I'm sure its the sort of kite that would really inspire confidence and get you going for things you wouldn't normally as its just so dependable.

Not sure that I like the look of them yet, but its good to see that Peter Lynn is still up there (well, down there geographically) trying new things and pushing the boundaries of kite design, whilst all other manufacturers are pretty much producing standard foils or LEI's... OK foils and LEI's particularly have improved considerably over the past few years, but they are still either foild or LEI's and all manufacturers are working along the same lines with the two designs, so it sgood to see PL still trying out new ideas.. I know none of his designs have REALLY caught on in a big way, but the Pantom sure felt as though it had a lot going for it.

Al.

justal - 13-6-2004 at 07:53

Maybe I spoke too soon about Peter Lynns designs not catching on in a big way... There was four people out on Mountainboards using Phantoms yesterday!!

Al.

justal - 13-6-2004 at 13:09

And the powerkite shop guys went one better today, with four Peter Lynn Phantoms stacked, to give a grand total of 54 square metres of kite on 55m long lines.... It looked pretty impressive, and certainly worth the effort it took to get the set up and launched.

Dan took loads of photos, and they;ve said they'll send me some, so I'll post them here when I get them.

Al.

adam - 15-6-2004 at 11:16

Haha beat you to it!!

From http://www.kiteatb.co.uk/_gallery/view_album.php?&set_albumName=phantom

Just saw the photos had been posted on the flexi site, looks awesome!!

sprogg - 23-7-2004 at 08:59

The Phantom is an awesome kite. I got mine at the weekend from www.powerkitesales.co.uk the 12 and the 18m. Amazing and the deal I got was the best I found anywhere.

mexican bandit - 23-7-2004 at 14:11

So, is the fantom like the Peter Lynn gorrilla? A foil set up in an arc shape without all the normal lines of other foils?

Would you say it is better than other LEI or foils? or just in it's own spot?

sprogg - 9-8-2004 at 12:47

It is an Arc type. People are saying its the new F-Arc. Certainly aimed at the same market, very quick and loads of lift. Not for the in experienced and almost impossible to relaunch off water. Lovely kites

qualigs - 9-8-2004 at 13:15

Stacked looks crazy!! I have enough trouble with my 2m kite! I guess these are for fairly light wind conditions? Or for cross Atlantic flights..