Board logo

Katabatic wind tomorrow???
justal - 8-3-2004 at 20:16

I've just been looking at the forecasts and charts etc. and theres a possibilty that the katabatic winds that we often get here in the spring may well but in an appearance tomorrow morning.

as long as it stays clear tonight and the temperatures drop inland, then once the low-angle sun starts reflecting off the sea and warming the air above it we may get enough of a temperature gradient to drive some Easterlies down the valley. High tide is around 9.30am, so there should be enough water in the estuary by 7.30am, just in time for the winds to kick in properly.

Its obviously not a certainty, and we haven't had one yet this year, but heres hoping...

Will anyone else be around first thing if it happens??

Al.

shem - 8-3-2004 at 20:36

Ill hope fully be about Al, but all these big words your using may effect my sleep, preventing me from getting up early.

X fingers.

justal - 8-3-2004 at 20:38

OK... How about I just say..

"It might blow its tits off tomorrow morning!"

I'll check it early and let you know if it happens

Al.

justal - 9-3-2004 at 06:09

Not sure thats its gonna work... There isn't a lot of wind out there at the moment (although I haven't actually been down to the estuary yet).

There is also a bank of clouds over the hills, so, not only will the temperature up there not have dropped as much as we'd like, but the sun won't rise quite so early. I'll still take a look in the estuary once the sun does rise though just in case.

Al.