Board logo

Is that wind I see???
justal - 17-2-2004 at 19:14

Looks as though there could at last be some wind kicking in towards the end of this week... It seems like ages since we had any.

Forecasts say a bit on Thursday (NE Force 4 ish), more on Friday, (NE Force 5), then a fair bit for the weekend (Easterly Force 5-6)... Of course, as this is an easterly it could be mad in the estuary...

Shame the high tides are at the wrong time of day, but it does get light around 7.30am so if we get on the water then we should have a few hours to play with.

Who will be around??

Al.

Spencer - 18-2-2004 at 06:53

Looks like there might be some Ne's on the way,might check out Bigbury thurs or fri as ive heard theres a funnel effect on that direction (similiar to borth estuary),can any one confirm that?
Ta Spence...

Nick - 18-2-2004 at 09:49

Hi Spencer,

Yes I think a NE'erly would funnel straight down the Avon Valley making it offshore at Bantham beach (adjacent to the estuary mouth) and cross shore at Bigbury, depending on which way you consider being out to sea!

I'd read the same here:-http://www.bristolnomads.org.uk/Locations/Location_Reports/bigbury.html

Check out this months Windsurf magazine - there's an article on epic Bigbury conditions back in November.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Nick

AndyW - 18-2-2004 at 13:33

Al,

I remember the last time I saw a forecast like that.

I recall it was about F8 in the estuary and you were on a 3.5m sail...

Whereas the Golf Course was a nice steady F5-6 offshore :-)

Andy

Spencer - 18-2-2004 at 15:17

Hello Nick... i saw on the nomads site what it said,just wondered if anyone had 1st hand experience of it.Wind guru seems to be predicting lots of wind there.Last year sailed at Sandbanks in a Ne & that was ok but was blowing F6.
Spence...

IainO - 18-2-2004 at 16:54

NE is cross off from the right at Bigbury and it does funnel down the Avon Valley. Makes for some good flat water blasting/freestyle with occasional wave riding in off the river mouth if there is any swell. Should be good but it will depend on the temperature, I don't venture out below 8 degrees, too cold.