Board logo

sails quivver spacing
ste - 24-4-2003 at 07:28

Hi

Looking at revamping all my sub 6m sails

Was originally thinking of 5.7, 5.0, 4.5

But after speaking to a wondusrfing pal who is super dedicated - he recommends going 5.7, 5.3, 4.7, 4.2

ignoring the fact that of the cost of an additonal sub5m sail in the latter option - what do you think? I thought the 5.7 to 5.3 gap is too small (esp since the next gap down i bigger?) But he argues that most of his favourtite sailing is in the 5-6m range - so plan the quivver to get that just right...

Indeed - in the past i have notice my old sail (5.8m - 5.0m) that the gap was a bit big and whislt over powered on my 5.8 i hardly got enough wind for my 5.0?

Any recommendations / thoughts?

Ta,
Ste

paul - 24-4-2003 at 08:04

Quiver spacing depends on the type of sail more than anything and there is a lot to be said for having a range from the same manufacturer as different sail makers build their sails with more or less power depending on the style.

Gun sails have a nice quiver plan generator on their site, read the instructions and give it a try:

click here

ste - 24-4-2003 at 09:20

Sails are probably going to be North wave sails - North Instinct maybe for 5.7 and then perhaps Superstar for all the others as it might be less pully.

Thanks for the link to the calculator - but im really after insight from peoples experience of using the quivver ranges like the ones i sugested and if they agree or not with my mates rationale (I already appreciate the % spacing that the sail sizes imply).

By the way - im 85 kg and will prob use with a 100 liter freestyle (in patner to a 6.5) and 80-85 litre wave board for UK coastal sailing

Ta,
Ste

paul - 24-4-2003 at 11:11

well in that case I can help.

I'm currently sailing a 100l board at the coast with a biggest sail of 6.4 Trixx I change straight down from that to my 5.4 NR. I find both those sails quite tuneable so they cover the range well. I have a 6m supersonic but I only use it occasionally with my old slalom board.

My next size down is a 5.0 which I have used on the 100l board but it probably too small, I'm 85kg too so when it's 5m weather I change down boards anyway. I swap between my 5m, and 4.5m (both NR's) more dependant on the sea state than the wind though.

hope that helps a little.

Dave - 24-4-2003 at 12:44

Just jumping in -

Thanks - this is a good thread, with some useful info, I like the Gun site.

As usual - I have a set of sails that don't match up to what I want, but they will [have to] do.

justal - 24-4-2003 at 18:23

My sub 4m sails are the same size as your original plan:

5.7m, 5.0m, 4.5m 9All Gun Wave MC's.. I'd like a 4m one too, as my next ione down for those mad days is a 3.4m.

This range works well for me (coastal sailing). I use the 5.7m with my 99ltr Cross (A long with my 6.3m), all of them with my Hifly 265 if I feel likt some flat water blasting and the 5.0m and 4.5m with my 70ltr wave board.

Its ounds to me as though the 5.3-5.7m gap is a little small. You'll spend all your time on it wondering if the other one would be better for the conditions.

Having a closely spaced quiver does sound nice if your bank balance/ van is big enough, but it also makes sail choice a little more difficult.

Al.

kelvin - 10-5-2003 at 07:31

been trying to get gear down to minimum , so rather then constantyl rerigging sails from large quiver just been swapping boards its quicker and a lot easier .
currenty use a 6.7m on a freestyle if its light winds .
THEN my options open up as wind increases 6.1m on freestyle/wave board 14-20 mph
5.3m on wave board 88l / wave 72l 18-30
4.2m on 72l when its really blowing !