Board logo

Accessing the site
Si_B - 22-1-2007 at 08:48

Does any one else have problems getting onto this site ??. I can access it from work no problem, but my computer at home just times out ??. No problems with any other web pages.

Any ideas ??.

Cheers,

Simon

justal - 22-1-2007 at 08:56

I haven't heard of anyone having problems, and if it is only you experiencing them then it would suggest something to do with the settings on your home PC... Maybe the site is blocked in your firewall?

Or, maybe the IP address of your home PC has been banned by one of the servers that the connection routes through whilst accessing the site (what is your IP address and I'll make sure the server the site is hosted on hasn't blacklisted you.).

I have similar problems with a few sites from my home computer for some reason and switching off my router and then switching it back on again seems to cure the problem, but only for a while. I'm not sure what causes it but it seems as though my routers' firewall blocks access to certain sites now and then for some reason completely unknown to me... Computers!!!

Al.

justal - 24-1-2007 at 08:08

Simon.... Did you solve the problem??

Al.

danh - 24-1-2007 at 08:52

I have had a problem a few times now, not with it timing out. But i can be on the site for a while in the evening then go off somewhere else but when i try to come back to the site it just comes up with a load of text. Each line normally ending in .PHP.

Strange that this seems to happen around 8 o'clockish

Si_B - 24-1-2007 at 09:59

Yep, seems to be back on again last night.

Not sure what was going on.

Cheers,

Simon

Fart Boy - 24-1-2007 at 18:26

Al, if you remeber I had an issue once that you talked me through. Home PC would not work and the laptop did not. I think it was cookie problems from memory.

Oh yes I could not access the site a few days ago but it was fine a while later.

justal - 24-1-2007 at 18:45

Yeah, cookies are often a problem in Internet Explorer... But then so is everything in Internet Explorer!.. If only everyone use Firefox my job would be so much easier.

A problem with cookies is unlikely to completely block someone out of the site though, it will only cause issues with them logging in(or being unable to logout if Internet Explorer is playing up!)

The site hasn't been down, so your temporary problem was probably just some hiccup along the route to the server or a local connection problem...

Al.

Jonny - 24-1-2007 at 20:08

I had a problem gettin onto the site last night as well. It said that there were too many users on the site and the administrator exceeded his allowance for users online.
The sites getting too popular Al!

Dandine - 24-1-2007 at 20:27

Just buy a mac. Been running my 17" G4 Powerbook for 3 years on line, no firewall and no problem. Bliss. Second ditching IE and running app like firefox.

justal - 24-1-2007 at 22:25

I had a G4 Powerbook for a while but the logic board blew up so I had to throw it in the bin!... Currently on a Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac.

Getting everyone to use Firefox is the first step... Getting them to switch to Mac isn't so easy... If only they knew what they were missing!

Al.

justal - 24-1-2007 at 22:31

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
I had a problem gettin onto the site last night as well. It said that there were too many users on the site and the administrator exceeded his allowance for users online.
The sites getting too popular Al!

Probably a whole load of Spambots!!! Grrrr!

Al.