Board logo

Any decent kitespots near Bath?
Rosie - 26-10-2006 at 14:22

Hi chaps

I am off to Bath to stay with Mum for a bit in late November and wondered where there are any decent spots... I'm staying with her to look after her so can't vanish off to Wales, but wondered if there is anywhere good near Bristol maybe where I could go for a morning, and if there are any friendly kiters around on those spots :-)

I am coming from 18th to 26th November... maybe Poole???

Any advice much appreciated!!

Cheers

Rosie

justal - 26-10-2006 at 15:30

Weston-Super-Mare is probably your best bet.

Al.

Si_B - 27-10-2006 at 07:13

I would not go to Weston, the water can be really mushy, and you have to look out for the groins and submerged poles.

If you go a bit further down you have Brean, which is right next to Burnham on sea. Two hours either side of high tide if safe, anymore than that you are going to get very muddy (or possibly stuck......very dangerous).

Water looks awful, but it is only sediment. Managed a couple of days out there this year when I was working near Bristol. On a Westerly (on shore), you can kite 30 foot off the beach in waist high water for miles along the beach at Brean to Burnham. I really liked it. Very quiet, and you can park right on the beach.

Regards,

Simon

Rosie - 27-10-2006 at 09:20

Cheers - are there ever any other kiters there who will be able to help if I get stuck in the mud?

Rosie x

Si_B - 27-10-2006 at 11:35

There always seemed to be a couple of people knocking about when I went. Whether that was good luck, I don't know. If you are going at the weekend, and the wind is good, I'd be suprised if you were on your own. If you do go to Weston, there are loads of kiters and windsurfers. Depends how good you are at staying out of other peoples way (and dodging big lumps of wood !!)

Regarding getting stuck in the mud.....don't do it. The coast line down there claims a few people every year, and the tide can really catch you out. Don't kite more than two hours either side of high tide and you will be fine. Don't be tempted to park your car below the dry line on the beach to save a walk !!!

There are also some great kite spots over the bridge into South Wales (Aberavon for example), which can be just as quick to get to down the M4, rather than going to Weston.

Simon